Sunday 1 March 2009

Flavour pairings



This is something i was working on this evening. I love butterscotch and have wanted to use it for some time. My thought process led me to foie gras terrine, as you have a more creamy richness to a terrine than when you sear. With the deep caramel note in butterscotch i thought it would pair well. I was wrong! For me the butterscotch was to sweet to match. I then added a little cider vinegar, lemon juice and fig puree to freshen the taste and lighten at the same time.
I was not dissapointed. the fruit puree and slight acidity did wonders to balance out the rich, cloying sweetness of the sauce and it paired very well with the foie.
I garnished the dish with blackberry set in its own jelly, truffled marshmallows, poached grapes and rosemary blossoms.
The only thing i would change on this dish is having more sauce on the plate, possibly sitting under the foie pave.

1 comment:

  1. truffled marshmallows.....mmmmmmmmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete